In 2013, the Topeka Rescue Mission launched an initiative called NET Reach, in an attempt to reduce homelessness and poverty, by helping to initiate and sustain transformation in one of Topeka’s more challenged and impoverished neighborhoods. Hi-Crest is a neighborhood of small, modest homes built over sixty years ago to house military families stationed at Forbes Field. Today Hi-Crest families find themselves in a cycle of poverty and living in a neighborhood of declining property values and high crime rates. The NET Reach initiative is well underway including sector community collaboration, mentorship and mentee development, neighborhood engagement, employment readiness, future microbusiness development, and above all a sense of hope where there has been much hopelessness.
Quotes from Hi Crest Mentees:
No one ever saw me. Now I have friends and know that I am a child of God.”This is the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole life. I have friends.”I’m not quite there yet. I’m not the woman I want to be, but I’m definitely not the woman that I used to be.”
Quote from a Mentor:
Our hearts have been opened to needs that were inconceivable before – especially right here in our city.”
Are you missing the blessing of paying it forward?
We need mentors & volunteers! Wait!…. We know what you’re thinking…
1. I want to help someone less fortunate and but I do not know how.
- You won’t be doing this alone.
- It’s a team effort and we train you.
2. I feel called to missions, but I can’t go overseas.
- You can become friends and walk alongside someone right here in your city.
3. I am not sure I am qualified.
- God can use your talents and skills.
4. I am too busy.
- Two hours a week and text or phone call of encouragement is all it takes.
5. I am afraid.
- You will discover that God will richly bless you with your new relationships.
Don’t miss out – BE A BLESSING!
Go to the top bar and click on “GET INVOLVED” and then choose whether you want to be a “Volunteer” or “Mentor”